Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress... James 1:27

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Ready and Waiting...


His nickname is KK. He is four years old. He can't sit up. He can't run. He can't do anything on his own. He was born with a disability. He has struggled all his life. He is easy to overlook. To ignore. To pass by. But he is worthy of so much more. He is capable of so much more. He is loved. He is cared for. He is prayed over. He is precious. And he deserves a family. He needs a family. He is waiting for a family. He wants a family. Someone to love. To call his own. To care for him. To spoil him. To hold his hands. To work his muscles. To teach him. To struggle with him. To feel his pain. To rejoice in his success. He is KK and he is worthy of this unconditional love and acceptance.

This is a boy that I have known for over two years. He was one of the kids assigned to me for one-on-one time when I first arrived at COTP. He used to intimidate and overwhelm me. I wasn't sure what to do with a boy like him. I didn't know how to help him. I couldn't really even tell if he was happy or sad. I felt helpless to his struggles.

Now, two years later, I am still getting to know KK better. I am not intimidated or overwhelmed. I know to hold him, love him and work his muscles. I can see the beauty of his smile and feel the pain of his cry. I no longer feel helpless, but hopeful. I am hopeful that KK's family is out there. I am hopeful they will find him soon. I am hopeful that they will find unending joy by inviting him into their lives. I am hopeful that they will answer the call of God to help the least of these, to be blessed by the least of these. I am hopeful that He is speaking to their hearts right now.

And a few days ago, I witnessed something that I thought may never happen. I went to play with KK and his roommates and when I stopped playing with KK, he started to cry. This is huge for him, to express his desires in such a way. I couldn't help but pick him up and take him back to the house to cuddle. He was very content. Then, I needed to get up to get something, so I handed KK to a volunteer. He began to cry, and was only comforted when I came back to touch him and reassure him. Not only did he want to be held, touched and interacted with, he wanted this from a specific person. He recognized that he knew me and wanted me close. He looked into my eyes for comfort. He spoke volumes about his desire to be forever-loved, by a family. And by the God who already holds him.

Please pray that his family finds him soon. He is ready and waiting.

For more information on this precious little boy, go to http://reecesrainbow.org/20038/peter-2 or http://childrenofthepromise.org/waiting-babies/

No comments:

Post a Comment